Best WordPress Security Plugins 2019-(Expert Picks)To Block the Bad
- 1 Best WordPress Security Plugins 2019-(Expert Picks)To Block the Bad
- 2 Your Priority Must Be a Secure Hosting
- 3 10 Best WordPress Security Plugins
- 3.1 1. Sucuri Security – audit, malware analysis and security reinforcement
- 3.2 2. iThemes Security
- 3.3 3. Wordfence Security
- 3.4 4. WP fail2ban
- 3.5 5. All In One WP Security & Firewall
- 3.6 6. Jetpack
- 3.7 7. SecuPress
- 3.8 8. BulletProof Security
- 3.9 9. VaultPress
- 3.10 10. Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication
- 4 What’s the Best WordPress Security Plugin for You?
- 5 What WordPress security plugins do you stay?
Before delving into some of the WordPress security plugins, let’s start with an example. Let’s say you buy a new house. This exciting new investment requires a large down payment that you are probably not used to spending.
And of course, you will receive inspection fees before making the purchase. Then come the mortgage and insurance payments, which go directly to your pocket.
They tell you that buying real estate is one of the best investments you can make, but it’s expensive.
For an investment of such high value (and something that could make you earn a lot of money in the future), would not you want to protect it in the best possible way?
That’s why you buy insurance and consider setting up an alarm system or some security cameras.
Many experts suggest at least placing a security system sign on your door, to frighten those who do not want to risk it. All this security is intended to protect the initial investment, along with the potential of that investment in the future.
Are you still searching for that perfect WordPress host?
Try the premium WordPress managed hosting from Kinsta to experience your site without problems.
- Fully managed
- Sure as Fort Knox
- Free migration
- Last speed
- Daily backups
- Google Cloud Platform
GET TO KNOW KINSTA PLANS
And you should think in this same way when it comes to your WordPress website.
Starting a blog,
This initial investment alone is enough to secure your website from thebeginning. But the most important thing is to make sure you do not forget to protect the potential money that you will earn in the future.
By default, the WordPress kernel has some security measures in place, but it’s nothing compared to what an accredited security plugin does for you. For example, the main WordPress security plugins offer the following:
- Active safety monitoring
- File analysis
- Malware analysis
- Monitoring of the blacklist
- Security hardening
- Post-hack measures
- Protection against brute force attacks
- Notifications when a security threat is detected
- And much more
Your Priority Must Be a Secure Hosting
The security of your site is as good as the backend and the base on which it runs. That is why it is important, before looking in the security plugins, to choose a WordPress host that already has security measures, many of these protections are made at the server level and can be much more effective, without damaging the performance in place. Not to mention that you do not have to waste time playing with a set of security settings in plugins whose functionality or purpose you do not even understand.
These are some of the security features that Kinsta offers in all managed WordPress hosting plans.
- Kinsta constantly runs malware scan , detects DDoS attacks, monitors uptime and automatically bans IPs that have more than 6 unsuccessful login attempts in a minute.
- Only SFTP and SSH encrypted connections (without FTP) are allowed when accessing your WordPress sites directly.
- Hardware firewalls have been implemented, along with additional active and passive security measures to prevent access to your data.
- Kinsta uses Linux containers (LXC) on top of the Google Cloud Platform which provides complete isolation not only for each account, but for each separate WordPress site. This is a much safer method than that offered by other competitors. GCP also uses data encryption at rest.
- Kinsta only runs compatible versions of PHP: 5.6, 7, 7.1 and 7.2. The unsupported versions of PHP are dangerous due to the fact that they no longer have security updates and are exposed to security vulnerabilities. However, we already offer PHP 7.3 for testing.
- Nothing is 100% hack-proof, and that’s why Kinsta provides free solutions for all customers.
It is important to note that many security plugins cause performance problems due to their always active and scanning functionalities. That’s why Kinsta prohibits some (not all) security plugins. Kinsta also uses load managers with Google Cloud Platform which means that in some cases, the IP blocking features of some security plugins will not work as expected.
If you are a Kinsta user, we recommend that you use a solution such as Cloudflare or Sucuri, along with Kinsta, if you need extra protection or help to reduce robot or proxy traffic. Check out our blog post about how Sucuri easily helped mitigate a DDoS attack.
However, not all hosts will have security as tight as Kinsta, and that is where WordPress security plugins can be very beneficial.
10 Best WordPress Security Plugins
If you are in a hurry, do not hesitate to click on the following links to test the security plugins and make your own decisions. If you want to see our analysis in depth, read on!
- Sucuri Security – audit, malware analysis and security reinforcement
- iThemes Security
- Wordfence Security
- WP fail2ban
- All In One WP Security & Firewall
- BulletProof Security
- Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication
The most valuable security plugins have a price, but there are some that come with limited functionality for free.
We’ll talk about that too, but it’s more important to understand what each plugin will do for you. In short, it’s about finding the best way to keep the bad guys away from your investment, and sometimes that means spending a little money.
1. Sucuri Security – audit, malware analysis and security reinforcement
The Sucuri Security plugin offers a free and paid version, however, most websites should work well with the free plugin. For example, the website’s firewall requires you to pay for a Sucuri plan, but not all webmasters feel they need that kind of security.
As for the free features, the plugin includes security activity audit to see how well your website is protecting. It has integrated file monitoring, monitoring of blacklists, security notifications and strengthening of security. Premium plans open customer service channels and more frequent analysis. For example, you may want an analysis completed every 12 hours. For that, I would pay around $ 17 per month.
The best features of Sucuri Security
- It offers multiple variations of SSL certificates. You will have to pay for them, but they are included in the package.
- Customer service is available in the form of instant chat and email.
- You get notifications instantly when something goes wrong with your website.
- Advanced DDoS protection is available through some plans.
- Even if you do not want to spend money, you will receive valuable tools for monitoring the blacklist, malware analysis,
monitoring theintegrity of the files and hardening the security.
2. iThemes Security
The iThemes Security plugin (formerly known as Better WP Security) is one of the most impressive ways to protect your website, with more than 30 offers to avoid things like hacks and unwanted intruders. It has a strong focus on recognizing plugin vulnerabilities, outdated software and weak passwords.
Although some basic security features are included with the free version, we strongly recommend upgrading to iThemes Security Pro for the low price of $ 80 per year. This provides ticketing support for one year with plugin updates and support for two websites. If you want to protect more sites, you have the option to switch to a more expensive plan.
As for the main features of the pro version, iThemes Security Pro provides a robust password application, blocking bad users, database backups and two-factor authentication. These are just some of the ways to protect your site with this WordPress security plugin. You can activate 30 total security measures, which makes iThemes Security Pro very valuable.
The best features of iThemes Security
- The security plugin offers file change detection, which is important since most webmasters do not realize when a file is being manipulated.
- Add an additional layer of protection to your login by integrating Google reCAPTCHA.
- The plugin compares your main WordPress files with the current version of WordPress, helping you understand if something malicious is placed in those files.
- Update your salt and your WordPress keys to add an additional layer of complexity to your authentication keys.
- You can set an “Away Mode” for when you do not make constant updates to your site and want to completely block your WordPress panel from all users.
- Other essential elements such as 404 detection, brute force protection and strong application of passwords.
3. Wordfence Security
Wordfence Security is one of the most popular WordPress security plugins, and rightly so. This gem combines simplicity with powerful protection tools, such as robust logon security features and security incident recovery tools. One of the main advantages of Wordfence is that you can get information about general traffic trends and hacking attempts.
Wordfence has one of the most impressive free solutions, with everything from firewall blocks to protection against brute force attacks. However, a premium version is sold starting at around $ 99 per year for a site.
The creators of the plugin also make it cheaper for developers, since they offer huge discounts when you register to get multiple site keys. For example, opting for 25 keys reduces the price to around $ 29 per year for each site. In general, Wordfence is worth considering if you are developing multiple websites and want to protect them all.
The best features of WordFence Security
- The free version is powerful enough for smaller websites.
- Developers can save tons of money when they register to obtain multiple site keys.
- It has a complete set of firewalls with tools for blocking the country, manual blocking, brute force protection, defense against real-time threats and a web application firewall.
- The scan portion of the plugin combats malware, real-time threats and spam.
- The plugin monitors live traffic by seeing things like Google’s crawling activity, logins and logoffs, human visitors and bots.
- You get access to some unique tools, such as the option to log in with your cell phone and passwords audit.
- The comment spam filter avoids the need to install another plugin for this.
4. WP fail2ban
WP fail2ban offers only one feature, but it is one of the most important: protection against brute force attacks. The plugin takes a different approach that many see as more effective than what it gets from some of the security plugins listed above. WP fail2ban documents all login attempts, regardless of their nature or success, in the system log using LOG AUTH. You have the option of implementing a soft or hard ban, which is different from the more traditional approach of choosing just one.
You do not have to know too much about configuration for the WP fail2ban plugin. In fact, all you have to do is install it and let it do its magic. In addition, the security plugin against brute force is completely free so you do not have to worry about spending money. This plugin is truly outstanding, since users inform, one after the other, that it works perfectly.
The best features of WP fail2ban
- Choose between soft or strong blocks.
- Integrate with CloudFlare and proxy servers.
- Record comments to avoid spams or malicious comments.
- The plugin also records information about spam, pingbacks and user enumeration.
- You also have the option to create a short code that blocks users immediately before you even have the opportunity to reach the login process.
5. All In One WP Security & Firewall
As one of the most comprehensive free security plugins, All In One WP Security & Firewall provides a simple interface and decent customer service without the need for premium plans. It is a highly visual security plugin with graphs and counters to explain to beginners the metrics such as the strength of security and what should be done to strengthen your site.
The functions are divided into three categories: Basic, Intermediate and Advanced. Therefore, you can still take advantage of the plugin if you are a more advanced developer. The main ways in which this plugin works is to protect your user accounts, blocking energetic attempts to log in and improving user registration security. The security of the database and files are also included.
The best features of All In One WP Security & Firewall
- The WordPress security plugin has a blacklist tool where you can set certain requirements to block a user.
- You can make backup copies of the .htaccess and .wp-config files. There is also a tool to restore them in case something goes wrong.
- The plugin shows a graph that indicates how strong your website is and another that designates points to certain areas of your site. It is one of the best features for the average user to see what is happening with the security of a site.
- The plugib is free, you should not pay for anything later.
Most people who use WordPress are familiar with Jetpack , and it is mainly because the plugin has many functions, but also because it is made by WordPress.compeople . Jetpack is full of modules to strengthen your social networks, site speedand protection against spam. There are so many features in Jetpack that are definitely worth exploring.
Some security tools are also included with Jetpack, which makes it an attractive plugin for those who want to save money and rely on an accredited solution. For example, the Protect module is free and blocks suspicious activity. Protection against brute-force attacks and whitelists are also compatible with Jetpack’s basic security functionality.
Thus, the paid versions of Jetpack are more powerful in terms of security. For example, the $ 99 per year plan includes malware scanning, backups of scheduled websites and restoration if something goes wrong. In addition, the $ 299 plan per year offers on-demand malware scans and real-time backups for maximum protection.
The best features of Jetpack
- The free plan offers a sufficient amount of security for a small website, then you can upgrade to premium plans at a reasonable price and get full support and one of the best plugins on the market.
- Premium plans make the plugin more than a package, with benefits ranging from backup copies, spam protection, and security analysis.
- Plugin updates are completely managed through Jetpack.
- It also gets monitoring of downtime.
- Jetpack is a plugin that eliminates the need for other plugins. For example, it has functions for email marketing , social networks, site customization and optimization.
SecuPresss is a newest security plugin on the market (originally released as freemium in 2016), but it is definitely one of the fastest growing. Currently developed by Julio Potier, one of the original co-founders of WP Media, which he may recognize, for developing WP Rocket and Imagify. There is a free version and a premium version that includes many additional features.
If you want a security plugin that has an excellent and easy-to-use user interface, SecuPress is definitely the ideal one. The free version features a brute-force login, blocked IP addresses and a firewall. It also includes the protection of your security keys, as well as blocked visits of bad bots (for which you generally have to pay in other security plugins).Struggling with downtime and WordPress problems? Kinsta is the hosting solution designed to save you time! Know our characteristics
If you want even more features, premium versions start at $ 59 per year per site and include additional features such as alerts and notifications, two-factor authentication, GeoIP lock, PHP malware scans and PDF reports.
The best SecuPress features
- The user interface in SecuPress is probably one of the best! This makes it very easy to use, even for beginners.
- The premium version definitely adds a lot of value. Verify 35 security points in 5 minutes, get a good report and then strengthen your WordPress site.
- It includes the ability to change the WordPress login URL so bots can not find it.
- It helps you detect topics and plugins that are vulnerable or that have been manipulated to include malicious code.
8. BulletProof Security
The BulletProof Security plugin comes in a premium or free version . The payment option sells for a single payment of $ 69.95 and is actively developed, updated and probably contains more features than most other security plugins in the market. They provide a 30-day money back guarantee and you receive functions for quarantines, email alerts, antispam, automatic restoration and more.
I suggest you try the free version first, because it offers the following features:
- Security and monitoring of login.
- Backup and restoration of the database.
- MScan Malware Scanner.
- Anti-spam and anti-piracy tools.
- A security record.
- Hidden plugins folders.
- Maintenance mode.
- A complete configuration wizard.
It is not the easiest to use WordPress security plugin, but it works for advanced developers who wish to take advantage of the unique configuration and features such as the fight against the guard operation and the Base64 decoder. It also has a configuration wizard feature to help make it a little easier.
The best features of BulletProof Security
- It has some of the most advanced security tools unique in the market, with features such as BPS Pro ARQ intrusion detection and prevention system (ARQ PDI) encryption solutions, as well as programmed crons, curl scans, folder blocking, and much plus.
- The free version has enough features for an average website.
- Backup copies of the database are also offered in the free version.
- You can hide folders from individual plugins.
- The maintenance mode functionality is not something you can find in most other security plugins.
It is important not to forget VaultPress, since it works in a similar way to plugins like iThemes Security Pro and Sucuri Scanner must pay to get any protection, but the plans start at only $ 39 per year, which makes it one of the most affordable premium security plugins. The website indicates that this plan is more for small businesses and bloggers, but you also have the option to upgrade to a more powerful plan for $ 99 per year or $ 299 per year.
Real-time and daily backups are the bread and butter of the operation, with a beautiful calendar view to specify when you want to complete them. You can also complete site restorations with a quick mouse click. What’s even better, restoration files are recorded on the board, and several of them are stored so you can choose which one you want. The best part of VaultPress when it comes to backups is that they are incremental. This is great for performance.
Primary security tools monitor suspicious activity on your website, with tabs to view your history and see what threats have been addressed or ignored. You can also check statistics and manage all security details from the comfort of a clean panel.
The best features of VaultPress
- The price is better than most other premium WordPress security plugins.
- The panel is visually clean and easy to understand for all users.
- You can make backups in real time or manually scheduled.
- The statistics tab reveals information about the most popular visiting times on your site, while showing what threats have occurred during those times.
- You can contact the VaultPress experts to help with tasks such as site restores and backups.
10. Google Authenticator – Two Factor Authentication
Most plugins that have individual security features do not make much sense for them to be installed. This is because you can usually opt for a plugin like iThemes Security Pro and get that function along with dozens of others. However, the authentication of two factors is a different story, as it seems that most security packages do not include it. Therefore, it might make sense to toughen the login security with a plugin like this.
The Google Autenticator plugin adds a second layer of security to your login module, which is quite important since most hacking attempts occur with login. In addition to your usual password, this plugin sends an automatic notification to your phone or some other form of authentication, such as using a QR code or asking a security question.
In this way, your login becomes much less penetrable since the second layer is more likely to be something that only you know or have personally (such as your phone).
This WordPress security plugin does not require any payment, and the interface is easy enough to understand. In addition to choosing the type of authentication, another great feature allows you to specify what kind of user role should go through authentication. Therefore, you can allow administrators to enter more easily, but you can ask authors or other users to do the two-factor process.
The only problem is that two-factor authentication makes it quite difficult to log in to your back-end with a mobile device.
The best features of Google Authenticator
- It almost eliminates the vulnerability that is your login area.
- You can choose which two-factor authentication method is the easiest for you.
- You can select which user types need to go through the authentication process.
- The plugin has an abbreviated code to use with personalized login pages.
What’s the Best WordPress Security Plugin for You?
Now that we have seen the best WordPress security plugins, take a look at our main recommendations below. This makes it easier to select one or two plugins without having to try them all. And remember, this depends on what your WordPress host already offers you, maybe security plugins are not even necessary.
These suggestions focus on certain situations in which you can choose one security plug-in over another.
- To get the best value – Sucuri Security, SecuPress, Jetpack, or iThemes Security.
- If you want a free security WordPress security plugin – All In One WP Security & Firewall, Sucuri Security (free version) or Wordfence Security.
- If you are looking for a security plugin for beginners – All In One WP Security & Firewall.
- When it requires a more advanced brute force protection plugin – WP fail2ban.
- If you want two-factor authentication – Google Authenticator – Two-factor authentication.
- For a beautiful interface – SecuPress or VaultPress.
Of course, we can not cover all the plugins there are. These are simply the ones we recommend based on our experience with users. If there is one that you think should be included in this list, let us know in the comments below. If you liked this article, then you will love the Ktopwebhostingoffer.
What WordPress security plugins do you stay?
Knowing the best security plugins is not enough. You have to get down to work!
So tell us, which one will be the lucky one to protect your website? Have you looked at someone else that I have not mentioned and what would you highlight? Have you ever had a problem with your website because of a vulnerability? I wait for you in the comments.